The award supports researchers at all stages to develop early, novel and outside-the-box ideas and collaborations to build and make progress in the Early Detection and Diagnosis field. Primer Awards provide seed funding to develop new relationships, ideas and lines of research, and the generation of pilot data.
Amount and duration
The award will provide up to 1 year of flexible seed funding up to £100k.
Funding could cover:
- Salaries for postdocs or technical staff
- Experimental expenses
- Associated running expenses
- Collaborative travel and networking costs
- Training courses
- People exchange
To stimulate and develop the early detection and diagnosis (ED&D) field, CRUK are encouraging early-career researchers, scientists new to ED&D and/or cancer research, as well as established early detection researchers to apply for Primer Awards.
- Have some postdoctoral experience or equivalent
- Be scientists, clinicians or healthcare workers in UK universities, medical schools, hospitals, CRUK Institutes or other research institutions
With this award, CRUK are challenging you to consider how you can utilise skills and techniques in innovative ways to accelerate ED&D research. Primer Awards provide seed funding to develop new relationships, ideas and lines of research, and the generation of pilot data.
The award aims to encourage scientists at all career stages to engage with the early detection and diagnosis of cancer field. It will support new and exploratory research ideas and/or pilot studies of high scientific risk and potential reward. It supports the development of new partnerships and exploration of highly novel concepts, involving researchers from any research area, including from non-traditional cancer fields.
Areas that could be considered include:
- Development of novel technology to address an area of need in the ED&D of cancer field
- Development or modification of existing technology from other research fields or sectors, to be applied to an early detection and diagnosis of cancer question
- Innovative and ‘out-of-the-box’ lines of investigation within ED&D
- Establishment and development of new collaborations or consortia to tackle an ED&D area of need
- Bringing individuals and skillsets into ED&D which have not previously been applied there
- Preliminary research to establish proof of principle in any area of ED&D remit
Funding can contribute towards generating pilot data for a new and exciting idea, establishing and developing new collaborations, testing a new technology or using an existing technology in an innovative way. We envisage that data generated or collaborations established through a Primer Award will form the basis for a more extensive future project within ED&D.
- CRUK strongly recommend you contact the Early Detection office for an informal and confidential discussion of your proposal. We will advise you on eligibility, remit and funding options.
- Submit your application through the online grants management system (Flexi-Grant). Your final application must be approved online by your host institution.
- Your application will be considered by the CRUK Early Detection and Diagnosis Committee.
Deadlines and selection procedures
The deadline for submitting proposals is 8 September 2022. Please click here for more information about the Primer Award and the application process and for contact details of the Research Funding Managers.