The award supports researchers at all stages to develop early, novel and outside-the-box ideas and collaborations to build and make progress in the Early Detection and Diagnosis field. Primer Awards provide seed funding to develop new relationships, ideas and lines of research, and the generation of pilot data.
Amount and duration
The award will provide up to 1 year of flexible seed funding up to £100k.
Funding could cover:
- Salaries for postdocs or technical staff
- Experimental expenses
- Associated running expenses
- Collaborative travel and networking costs
- Training courses
- People exchange
To stimulate and develop the early detection and diagnosis (ED&D) field, we're encouraging early-career researchers, scientists new to ED&D and/or cancer research, as well as established early detection researchers to apply for Primer Awards.
- Have some postdoctoral experience or equivalent
- Be scientists, clinicians or healthcare workers in UK universities, medical schools, hospitals, CRUK Institutes or other research institutions
- We strongly recommend you contact the Early Detection office for an informal and confidential discussion of your proposal. We will advise you on eligibility, remit and funding options.
- Submit your application through our online grants management system (eGMS). Your final application must be approved online by your host institution.
- Your application will be considered by the Early Detection and Diagnosis Committee.
Deadlines and selection procedures
The deadline for submitting proposals is 8 September 2021. Please click here for more information about the Primer Award and the application process and for contact details of the Research Funding Managers.