Biomarker Project Awards provide funding for biomarker assay development, validation and qualification for use in the clinical setting.
Amount and duration
Awards of up to £100.000 per year will be available for up to 3 years, and may be used to fund:
- Salaries for researchers and technical staff
- Running expenses
*Guide costs are up to £100.000 per year. Larger amounts may be considered with appropriate justification. Please contact the Clinical Research Funding team before submitting your application if you would like to apply for a larger amount.
Applicants must be from a UK university, research institution, clinical centre or clinical trials unit (CTU).
Please note that biomarker discovery proposals are not covered within the remit of this scheme.
Applications for biomarker discovery proposals with the aim of understanding the biological significance of potential biomarkers should be directed to the Science Committee.
Applications will be considered for biomarker assay development, validation and qualification, with the intention of future use in the clinical setting.
- Proposals can use invasive or imaging techniques
- All types of biomarkers will be considered, including predisposition, screening, diagnostic, prognostic, predictive, pharmacological and surrogate response.
- Samples and/or imaging for the study can be collected prospectively as part of the application or accessed from existing sample/data sets
- You must provide the Clinical Research Funding team with a two page proposal describing your study. After we have checked that your proposal is within remit you’ll be able to begin your application.
- You must read the full application guidelines (PDF) and grant conditions before starting your application, even if you have applied for funding with us before
- You must read the costs guidance (PDF) to understand what we will and will not fund
Deadlines and selection procedures
The deadline for submitting proposals is 14th June 2018. The Committee review will take place in November 2018. Please click here for more information about the Project Award and the application process and for contact details of the Research Funding Managers.